Welcome! We are a non-profit organisation dedicated to empowering migrant domestic workers with online education in financial literacy, personal growth and vocational skills.
Our mission: to empower migrant domestic workers through online education.
Despite working abroad, far from their families and children, most domestic workers do not lift themselves out of poverty. Only 6% of returned migrant domestic workers go back home because they feel they made enough money (Seefar – Report on Modern Slavery in East Asia, 2016). They face tremendous financial pressure, and need to be educated on how to avoid debt spirals and investment scams and how to prepare for the future.
Employers rely heavily on their domestic workers and may struggle to find someone with adequate professional skills. They want a reliable and stable domestic worker to take care of their household and loved ones.
We make education for migrant domestic workers more accessible. With our courses, they can develop personal and professional skills and make the most of their time abroad. We believe that women empowerment, education and community-based projects have the power to eradicate poverty and change lives.
Our courses are created by experts and follow the best online teaching practices. They are accessible to anyone with a simple smartphone.
Our life skills courses are free, and our vocational courses (in production) are fee-based.
Uplifters’ money management and personal growth programme (free):
- Module 1 – Dare to Dream: A 3-week course where students learn how to prepare for the future, manage their money (budget, save, recognise and avoid loans and investment scams), develop a positive mindset, improve their communication skills and build self-confidence.
- Module 2 – Make it Happen: A 1-year coaching course designed to support students in reaching their financial and personal goals. (Open to those who have completed “Dare to Dream”.)
- Module 3 – Become a Leader: A 2-week course to develop leadership skills and become an Uplifters team leader for “Dare to Dream” participants. (Open to those who have completed “Dare to Dream” and are actively engaged in “Make it Happen”.)
Read more about our free life skills courses.
How to join:
We are proud and thankful to be supported by:
- The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong
NGOs supporting domestic workers
We are also truly grateful for the in-kind support of:
Are you interested in supporting us as a company or an individual?
Join a positive and dynamic community of people keen to make a change!
With only HK$500 (US$64 or SG$88), you can sponsor 1 student for our full empowerment programme: “Dare to Dream” (3 weeks), “Make it Happen” (1-year coaching program with monthly sessions), and “Become a Leader” (2 weeks).
This student will then be able to facilitate online class chats and empower her own community, with a multiplier effect of up to 100 students trained per year.
The ripple effect is estimated to have a positive impact on up to 2000 people, as students share what they learn with friends and relatives and create small businesses in their communities.
Find out more about the impact your donations can make.
There are many other ways to support us, both as a company or an individual:
- Feature us in your blog or newsletter (and don’t forget to subscribe to ours!)
- Organise events with us or invite us as guest speakers
- Connecting us with potential supporters
- Follow us on Facebook
As an employer, you are welcome to join our “Support for employers of domestic workers” Facebook Group. You can ask questions in a safe, non-judgemental environment and get advice about hiring, training and managing a domestic worker.
Our FIRST RESULTS
Uplifters was started in October 2017 and officially launched in March 2018. As of 1 October 2018, more than 120 domestic workers have benefitted from our free money management and personal growth programme.
The programme has been fully operational since August 2018, and we are now starting new sessions at the beginning of every month (60 to 100 students per session). So far, we have achieved:
- More than 80% completion rate (compared to an average of 3 to 5% for online courses on platforms like Coursera and EdX)
- Excellent word-of-mouth referrals, with a 100% satisfaction and recommendation rate
- 100% students gained confidence in managing their money and saying to money requests
- 100% students feel they acquired tools to live a happier life
- More than 20 graduates of our courses trained as volunteer team leaders to facilitate our free life skills class chats.
“This class has a lot of challenges that we must do. It makes us practice change in daily life. I loved the challenges.” H., Indonesian domestic worker.
“I’ve been working abroad for 7 years and I admit I did not spend my salary wisely. It’s my first time learning how to plan and budget. It changes my life. I am so grateful.” M., Filipina domestic worker.
“I find the class is giving us a positive mindset and determination to achieve our goals.” N., Sri Lankan ex-domestic worker.
“I find that I am smarter and more educated than before.” K., Myanmar domestic worker.
“It made me more inspired, motivated and helped me plan to make my dreams come true.” S., Indonesian domestic worker.
“I have more knowledge. I learned how to make better investments and think about their risks, avoid loans because it brings you too much burden, manage my finances and make a budget and a plan.” W., Filipina domestic worker.
“I am more positive about the future and thanks to the morning ritual I have more energy to move forward.” H., Indonesian domestic worker.
“I learnt how to be happier and appreciate the little joys of life.” J., Filipina domestic worker
“It made me stick to my dream”. I., Filipina domestic worker, Singapore.