This study presents findings from a web-based survey conducted in Hong Kong in November 2019. It uses a quantitative method to assess current levels of understanding and attitudes of employers towards ethical recruitment and decent work principles, regarding the hiring of their migrant domestic workers (MDW) in Hong Kong.
The findings of the study provide evidence of the need to further raise awareness among employers of MDWs to both recruitment as well as the vulnerabilities to exploitation that can arise for workers within each phase of recruitment and employment.
What should employers do to better protect MDWs?
- Conduct due diligence
- Check relevant websites for guidance on hiring
- Read available resources
- Attend awareness-raising seminars
- Provide MDWs with suitable and furnished
- Communicate clearly and regularly with MDWs
- Provide MDWs with sufficient rest